This dish is typically thought of being German in origin but it has a much wider breadth than that; it is also found in the cuisines of Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia, Hungary amongst others.
Spätzle is a small noodle or dumpling made with eggs and is typically served as a side for meat dishes with gravy, it’s a bit of a heavy dish so we find that a little goes a long way. It was suggested that leftovers be frozen and added to soups. A fabulous idea! To reheat simply place in a sauté pan with a fat of your choice ( olive oil, butter or bacon fat).
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk ( more if needed)
- Place flour in a bowl and combine with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Make a well in the center and add the eggs and mix well.
- Slowly add the milk and beat until the mixture is thick, glossy, and has no lumps remaining.
- Press dough into salted boiling water. Let it cook until it floats to the top, remove with a slotted spoon and place into cold water.
- Cool , drain, cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve place some olive oil or butter in a sauté pan and cook the spätzle until it begin to brown.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: sides, recipes
Thanks for the post.Much thanks again. Much obliged.
Thank you ever so for you article post.
I think this is a real great article.Really thank you! Cool.
This is one awesome blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.
Looking forward to reading more. Great blog.Really looking forward to read more. Much obliged.
Thanks for the article post.Really thank you! Cool.