Sausage and Tortellini Soup
This is a quick 20 minute soup, and what makes it so quick and easy to whip up is the addition of the store bought tortellini. You can find these in the deli section of virtually any grocery store. Sometimes people tend to turn their noses up at Chef’s who use store bought ingredients as opposed to making their own, but hey, we’re just as busy as everyone else and besides if I had started the recipe by saying we were going to begin by handmaking pasta would you even still be here. Nah, I didn’t think so.
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
You can use virtually any type of sausage in this soup; Italian hot, Italian mild, chorizo, or in a pinch even good old breakfast sausage will do.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (or sausage of your choice)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Hot Under The Kilt Acadian Cajun Seasoning ( substitute 1 tsp hot sauce)
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups three cheese tortellini
- 2 cups baby spinach, discard stems and chop spinach
- 1 cup 35% cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized soup pot.
- Add sausage meat and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms, cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the basil, oregano, Hot Under The Kilt ( or hot sauce), dried mustard and chili flakes.
- Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the tortellini, cook for 7-8 minutes or until the tortellini in tender.
- Stir in the spinach and cream and simmer.
- until the cream has warmed through and the spinach has wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: one pot, soups & stews, recipes
I didn’t get to watch this show, but it looks so good ..
Did you get the chorizo sausage at the Pork Shop?
Will definitely copy this …. Thanks !
I made this today for lunch and it tasted amazing! I made it with mild Italian sausage and I didn’t add the mushrooms but other than that followed the recipe exactly. Was very easy and quick. Will definitely be making this again.
I just made this for supper tonight, perfect on a PEI minus 28 day. It’s delicious 🤤.
Will be on my to make again list for sure 🙂
I made this soup tonight. A big thumbs up 👍 from everyone. I used the Beyond Meat Italian sausages with the casing removed. & followed the recipe exactly. My husband asked if it was easy to make because he said he can make this one!
A favourite go to recipe for the family. A nice hearty soup on a cold snowy day.
I really liked your blog post.Really thank you! Will read on…