You can use virtually any type of sausage in this soup; Italian hot, Italian mild, chorizo, or in a pinch even good old breakfast sausage will do.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (or sausage of your choice)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Hot Under The Kilt Acadian Cajun Seasoning ( substitute 1 tsp hot sauce)
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups three cheese tortellini
- 2 cups baby spinach, discard stems and chop spinach
- 1 cup 35% cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized soup pot.
- Add sausage meat and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms, cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the basil, oregano, Hot Under The Kilt ( or hot sauce), dried mustard and chili flakes.
- Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the tortellini, cook for 7-8 minutes or until the tortellini in tender.
- Stir in the spinach and cream and simmer.
- until the cream has warmed through and the spinach has wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: one pot, soups & stews, recipes