This is one of those recipes that seems to have got an overlooked with the passage of time, many of us remember it growing up and sell them to make it any more. We think it’s the perfect way to end a picnic or a barbecue!
In this recipe we left out the maraschino cherries thinking that maybe it dated the dessert, but once we plated we realized we had made error and wished that we had put them in! We’ll leave that final decision up to you.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 round 9" cake 1x
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 7 pineapple rings (fresh or canned)
- 15 maraschino cherries ( optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and place in the bottom of a round cake pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter and use a spoon to spread it evenly.
- Place a pineapple ring in the center, place the remaining rings around the center ring.
- At a maraschino cherry to the center of each ring and in the openings between.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- The bowl combine the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisk to combine and set aside
- In a second bowl use hand beaters to cream the butter.
- Add the sugar and cream until smooth.
- Had the two egg whites and mix until combined.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, mix.
- At the dry ingredients to the top of the wet, and use your hand beaters to slowly incorporate the two together drizzling in the milk while doing so.
- Remove the pineapple topping from the fridge, add the batter and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a serving platter.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Baking, dessert, Recipes
I am so excited to make some of these recipes