Hand Held Apple Pies with Lemon Glaze
Red Prince apples are the perfect choice for these hand pies, in fact Red Prince are fabulous for baking, using in savory recipes of for snacking, and since they’re in season now it makes even more sense to us them!
The lemon glaze is optional put the little bit of tartness pairs perfectly with the lovely sweet apples.
- Heat canola oil in a fryer to 350.
- Place the apples, water, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom into a sauté pan, cook until the apples are soft, if the pan gets too dry add more water.
- Place the flour and salt into a bowl, work the shortening into the flour .
- Add the water a bit at a time until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and roll into a 30 X 30 rectangle and cut that into 12 equal pieces.
- Place a heaping tbsp of filling in the center of each square.
- Run a bead of water around the edge and fold into a triangle. use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Gently drop the pies into the hot oil and fry until golden. Remove from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the drizzle combine the icing sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the pie.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Air fry in a 400 degree preheated air fryer for 8 minutes, spray lightly with a neutral flavored oil then cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Category:Baking, dessert, recipes