Our beautiful Country Magic strawberries are arriving in the stores and we can’t wait to make all of the goodies! This dessert is a favorite of Johanne’s. Apparently it is associated with Eton Collage in Britain and is said to be Prince Will’s favorite dessert from his time there. If you’re not up for making homemade meringue cookies ( and NEVER on a rainy day) store bought ones will do and make this a recipe that’s easy to whip up at the last minute.
- Total Time: 27 minute
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 1–2 ounces strawberry rhubarb liqueur ( or liqueur of your choice, or omit all together)
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- preheat oven to 225. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and have a piping bag with a straight tip ready.
- Place the egg whiles, salt and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whip attachment. Beat on high until soft peaks form.
- Reduce mixer to medium speed. Combine the sugar and corn starch and add to the egg whites in three portions, pouring the sugar down the side of the bowl.
- Return the mixer to high and beat until stiff peaks form. Place the whites into a piping bag and pipe into 24 rounds.
- Place in the oven on the top and middle rack, set the timer for 30 minutes then rotate the pans. bake for another 30 minutes then turn the oven off leaving the cookies inside for 1-2 hours.
- Once the cookies are cool roughly chop up 1/2 of them and set aside.
- Hull the berries, cut 3/4’s of them into fourths and set aside. Pure the remining third along with the liqueur if using. Set aside.
- Combine the whipping cream and icing sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Fold in the strawberry sauce along with the crushed meringues and the whole berries. If you would like you can save some whole berries for the top.
- Spoon the dessert into serving dishes and re3fridgerate for 1/2 hour before serving. Best eaten the day that it is made.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2-3 hours
- Category: dessert, recipes
Leave A Comment