This recipe is about as traditional as it gets therefore it uses summer savory which is very easy to find on the east coast but somewhat scarce throughout the rest of Canada. The closest substitution is thyme or marjoram.
- 1lb salt codfish bites
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp summer savory
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter ( more if needed)
- Cover the salt fish with cold water and soak for 2 hours.
- Drain the fish and put into a clean pot.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the fish and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and add the summer savory, pepper and beaten egg. Mash well.
- Allow the potatoes to cool then form into cakes.
- Dredge the cakes in the flour shaking off the access.
- Add butter to a frying pan, melt and fry the fishcakes until golden brown.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: fish, recipes