Fish cakes are an extremely popular disk all throughout Atlantic Canada and authentic fish cakes are made with salt cod. if you have never worked with salt cod before it is very important to soak and rinse the fish other wise you will end up with an inedible product. Around these parts fish cakes are typically served with baked beans and green tomato chow. Here at home we are a house divided; one of us loves baked beans and the other does not, and i can not put enough emphasis on the does not part. And while one of us loves green tomato chow the other…well, you get the point. So in order to keep everyone happy we skip the beans and serve our fish cakes with our homemade Tomato Relish.
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
This recipe is about as traditional as it gets therefore it uses summer savory which is very easy to find on the east coast but somewhat scarce throughout the rest of Canada. The closest substitution is thyme or marjoram.
- 1lb salt codfish bites
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp summer savory
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter ( more if needed)
- Cover the salt fish with cold water and soak for 2 hours.
- Drain the fish and put into a clean pot.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the fish and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and add the summer savory, pepper and beaten egg. Mash well.
- Allow the potatoes to cool then form into cakes.
- Dredge the cakes in the flour shaking off the access.
- Add butter to a frying pan, melt and fry the fishcakes until golden brown.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: fish, recipes
Muchos Gracias for your article post.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.
Major thanks for the blog article.Thanks Again. Much obliged.
Looking forward to reading more. Great post.Thanks Again. Awesome.
Appreciate you sharing, great post.Much thanks again. Really Great.
Great blog article. Keep writing.
Enjoyed every bit of your blog post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.
This is one awesome blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.
Hey, thanks for the article post.Really thank you! Want more.