- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup Crosby’s molasses
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add the ground beef, onions, celery, carrots, and spices. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Combine the beef broth and the molasses, add to the beef mixture, bring to a boil, and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the peas and heat through.
- Roll out the pastry into 8-inch rounds, spoon 2-3 tbsp in the center, fold in half and crimp the edges.
- Place in a preheated 400°F oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Savory Pie Dough
Makes three 9” crusts
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 tsp Salt
- 10 oz cold water
- Sift your flour to add air then combine the flour and shortening with a pastry cutter.
- Dissolve the salt in the cold water.
- Mound the flour and shortening and use your hands to incorporate the cold water (run your hands under cold water first to prevent the dough from warming up) form the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Keep dough in the fridge for up to 1 week and the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Appetizers, beef, Entrees, what's for dinner, recipes
Keywords: molasses meat pies, savory tartlets, ground beef pastries, crosby's molasses, homemade mini pies, meat pie appetizers, New Brunswick flavors, bite-sized delights, pastry dough recipes, festive party snacks