This pie makes a beautiful wintertime dessert. Top it with a dollop of maple infused whipped cream or a drizzle of crème fraiche.
- 1 prebaked 9″ pie crust
- 1 cup dark maple syrup
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add maple syrup to a heavy bottomed pot, bring to a boil over medium low heat, allow to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour cream into maple syrup, whisking continuously, return to a simmer.
- Remove the maple mixture from the heat.
- Whisk together the whole egg and the egg yolks.
- Pour the maple mixture into the eggs in a slow steady stream whisking vigerously ensuring that the eggs do not scramble.
- Stir in the salt, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the pre baked pie crust. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
- When ready the pie should jiggle slightly in the middle.
- Cool to room temperature before cutting.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour