Don’t let the list of ingredients turn you away from this recipe. If you can’t find the spices in your local supermarket then venture to a local Asian market ( prepare to lose yourself in there for a bit, they’re fascinating places) or try your local bulk food store.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5lbs onions, julienned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs short ribs
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 3′ piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 star anise pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup soya sauce
- 12 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 18 ox ramen noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 green onions, sliced on the bias
- Begin by tossing together 1/4 cup olive oil and the onions. Place in a large pot over medium high heat, cook until the onions slowly brown, stirring often, 30-40 minutes.
- Place 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pot.
- Brown the shorts ribs on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add shallots, garlic and ginger to pot, cook 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- Add star anise, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, black peppercorns and coriander, cook until fragrant. 3-4 minutes.
- Deglaze with the red wine, allow to reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add soya sauce and return beef to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove beef and strain broth. return beef to the pot.
- Shred meat and add to broth.
- Add onions and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add rice wine vinegar.
- Place cooked ramen noodles in a bowl, ladle hot broth over top.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Beef, Entrees, Soups & stews, recipes