Coconut Lobster Tails
- 3/4 cup flour. divided
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 light beer or soda water
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 12 –1/2 lobster tails, cooked
- 2 cups canola oil for shallow frying
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp saki
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- Red food coloring, optional
- Place the canola oil in a heavy bottomed pot and heat to 350″
- Meanwhile place the first nine ingredients for the Sweet Thai Chile Sauce into a saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Combine the corn starch and water and add to the saucepan, stir until the sauce begins to thicken (it will thicken more as it cools). Add a few drops of red food coloring if desired. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup of flour, baking powder and light beer in a bowl, mix well.
- Place the coconut in a shallow bowl and repeat with the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
- Skewer the lobster tails, coat with flour, shaking off excess, dip into the batter followed by the coconut.
- Gently place into the oil and shallow fry until golden brown.
- Serve hot with a side of sauce for dipping.
- Category: appetizer, seafood, sauces lobster, recipes