Roast Beef Melts with Au Jus Dipping Sauce
These were TASTY! My sister said ” The red pepper jelly gave you an unexpected twist when it hit your taste buds. They were delicious”! We couldn’t agree more, a nice change from the ordinary. PS that jus was so good that we might have, possibly, just maybe, ate it like soup when we finished our sandwiches…..maybe 😉
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large sauté pan.
- Add the onions and cook until golden brown, adding the 2nd tbsp of butter as needed.
- Slice the sub buns in half.
- Spread the mustard on the bottom buns and the red pepper jelly on the top buns.
- Place the bottom buns in an oven safe dish.
- Add the Havarti cheese.
- Reserve 1 cup of onions and divide the remaining onions between the buns.
- Place the roast beef on top of the onions.
- Add the Monterey Jack.
- Place the top bun on the melt and drizzle with the additional 2 tbsp of better.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes, uncover and bake for an addition 20 minutes.
- While they bake prepare the au jus.
- Return the reserved onions to the stovetop.
- Add the 1 tbsp of mustard and mix well.
- Add the red wine, beef broth, sprigs of thyme and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and allow to reduce by half.
- Remove the thyme and bay leaves and serve along side the roast beef
- Prep Time:20 minutes
- Cook Time:30 minutes
- Category:Beef, Entrees, Recipes