- 1 unbaked pie shell, recipe here
- 3 cups rhubarb pieces, chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 room temperature egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Place rhubarb in an unbaked 9-in pie shell. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over fruit. Bake for 10 minutes at 400F. Reduce oven to 350F and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Cool completely then top with merengue ( directions below)
Combine the egg whites and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium-low until the eggs become frothy. While the eggs are frothing combine the water and cornstarch in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low until thickened and opaque.
Combine the sugar and the cream of tartar, increase the mixer speed to medium-high and incorporate with the egg whites 1 tablespoon at a time. Once the sugar has been incorporated turn the mixer to high and beat the egg whites until they begin to stiffen.
Add the warm corn starch mixture 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to beat until the meringue is stiff and glossy.Mound the meringue on to the slightly cooled pie, ensuring that the meringue coves the crust, this will prevent shrinkage.
Place the pie in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
- Category: Baking, Dessert, Recipes