Peach Bread Pudding
This recipe is from our cookbook The Acadian Kitchen. In that book we celebrate our Acadian cousins from all around the world, most who can trace their ancestry here to Nova Scotia. The book talks about how the great upheaval scattered Acadians all around the world, to France, Haiti, and into the United States.
The Louisiana Acadians began making a new life for themselves, they were “strongly encouraged” to give up their French names and language. They had to learn to cook with ingredients that were completely foreign to them, for example fricot became gumbo and so on. They even took on a new identity, Acadians soon became Acajuns, and then eventually Cajuns.
This bread pudding recipe comes from a good friend in Louisiana named Randall Menard, someone who was an acquaintance, then a friend , then a cousin and now a brother. This bread pudding is wonderful with peaches but equally as good with fresh wild blueberries.
Peach Bread Pudding
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
This is a wonderful dessert that brings the flavor of summer even in the winter.
- 1 1/2 cups 35% cream
- 5 oz white chocolate
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 28oz can sliced peaches
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries ( optional)
- 1 loaf French bread cut into slices then into circles with a biscuit cutter
- White chocolate shards for garnish
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine the cream and white chocolate together in a double boiler until the chocolate has melted.
- In the meantime combine the milk, vanilla. egg, egg yolks and sugar, whisk until silky.
- Once the chocolate is melted remove from the double boiler and slowly drizzle it into the egg mixture whisking constantly so the eggs do not cook.
- Line a 9″ round cake pan with parchment and place the peaches in a circular pattern on the bottom. Top with the fresh blueberries if using.
- Top with the bread rounds.
- Slowly pour half of the cream mixture over the bread, let it sit for ten minutes then add the remaining cream.
- Cover tightly with foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Place in a preheated 275F oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Cool. Serve with White chocolate sauce. see below.
White chocolate Sauce
- % oz white chocolate
- 1/4 cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
Combine the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl, microwave in 20 minute increments stirring between each until the chocolate has melted.
Directions for making chocolate shards
- Melt chocolate , if using white chocolate add 2 tbsp cream, cream is not required if using milk or dark chocolate.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in front of you.
- Once the chocolate has melted pour it onto the parchmnet papaer and use an offset spatulae to spread it in a thin layer.
- With the short end in front of you. begin carefully rolling up the parchment paper.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- As you unroll the parchment paper the hardened chocolate will break into shards.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 95 minutes
- Category: Desserts, Recipes
A big thank you for your blog post.Thanks Again. Cool.
I truly appreciate this article.Much thanks again. Fantastic.
Really appreciate you sharing this article. Fantastic.
Great blog article.Thanks Again. Fantastic.
Really appreciate you sharing this article post.Thanks Again. Will read on…
I think this is a real great blog.Thanks Again. Awesome.
wow, awesome article post.Much thanks again. Great.
Thanks again for the article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.
A big thank you for your article.Really thank you! Fantastic.
Very neat article post.Much thanks again. Great.
Major thankies for the article.Much thanks again. Fantastic.
Im thankful for the blog post.Really thank you! Really Great.
Muchos Gracias for your blog article.Really thank you! Awesome.
Looking forward to reading more. Great post. Will read on…