This recipe uses an old fashioned method of making a sachet bag, we use cheesecloth to make ours but if your stuck you can carefully cut the top from a tea bag, empty it, add your spices then tie it off.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 large onions, julienned
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp Kitchen Bouquet (see notes below)
- 1/2 cup Port or Sherry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 6 slices of hearty bread
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme or 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400. F
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Add the onions and sweat ( cook slowly) until they begin to turn golden, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile assemble sachet bag. Wrap peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme, and salt in cheesecloth, tie the top with butchers twine.
- Add beef broth, Kitchen Bouquet, Port or Sherry, salt pepper and sachet bag to the pot.
- Bring the contents to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Prepare bread by trimming it to fit the bowl , brush with olive oil and cook in a preheated 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into oven proof bowls, top with bread and cheese.
- Place in a preheated 400 degree oven until cheese melts and begins to brown around the rim of the bowl, 8-10 minutes.
Kitchen Bouquet is a browning and seasoning sauce found in most grocery stores. Suitable substitutions are; Worcestershire sauce, Bragg Liquid Aminos, dark soy sauce. If you use dark soy sauce cut back the salt in the recipe.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour