- 1 5-6 lb chicken, bone-in, skin-on
- 10 cups water
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon concentrate
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly-ground pepper
- 2 tbsp summer savory
- 2 bay leafs
- Cajun Twist
- 3/4 lbs smoked bacon diced
- 1 onion cubed
- 1 Green bell pepper cubed
- 2 Jalapeno peppers
- 2 tbsp Hot Under the kilt Acadian Cajun seasoning
- In a large pot, boil the chicken in 10 cups of water until tender, (optional for extra flavor add onions carrots bay leaves peppercorns and salt) approx. 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the chicken, strain broth and reserve. Cool chicken and remove the skin and meat from the bones.
- Roughly pull the meat and set aside.
- Return the broth to the pot and add potatoes, Sauté the onion, celery, carrots, in the butter in a separate frying pan for 4-5 minutes till tender add to the pot.
- Add bouillon, salt, pepper, savory, bay leaves and chopped meat.
- Add water to cover if needed. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 45 minutes.
- In a frying pan cook bacon till crispy, add onions, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, and 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning and cook till onions are translucent.
- Add to the pot and add the remainder of the Cajun seasoning simmer for 15 minutes and serve.
Keywords: Soups & Stews, Chicken, Entrees